Monday, January 28, 2013

Setting up a webcam with Raspberry Pi

As a small device Raspberry Pi is easy to place almost anywhere. I got an idea to try to hook a webcam with the Pi. I found instructions on the web and the job was quite easy. I got my Logitech quickcam deluxe working by running the following commands:

sudo apt-get install motion
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg


sudo nano /etc/motion/motion.conf

made some modifications to the config file the following way:

daemon on
webcam_localhost off
webcam_port 8081
snapshot_interval 60


and run the server program:

sudo motion -n

I used VLC media player to test the webcam stream with the IP and the port. The webcam didn't work when it was connected directly to the Pi's USB port and had to be connected with a powered USB hub.



No comments:

Post a Comment